The depth and mellowness of the Gibson L-5 CES is winning acclaim for this fine jazz guitar from the most discriminating artists. The tonal quality of the acoustic guitar and the advantages of an electric are combined in one instrument. Very few carved guitars are built each year because of the scarcity of the wood required and the handcrafting involved.
The building of the L-5s is overseen by Jim Hutchins, a Gibson Builder since 1963. The process has remained relatively unchanged since the 1950s, including the hand-tuning of the top and back. Guitarists sing the praises of the comfortable vintage neck; the fast, easy action; and the rich beauty of the carved spruce top.
Other features on the Gibson guitar include a figured, carved maple back with solid maple rims; a pearl inlaid ebony fingerboard; and beautiful multi white-black binding. With the creation of the L-5 in the 1920s, the modern archtop guitar was invented and it has set the standard for all carved guitars that have followed. Includes case.
- Solid spruce top
- Solid maple sides and back
- Five-piece maple neck
- Binding: Body/neck/peghead/f-holes
- Hardware: Gold
- Bridge/Tailpiece: Tune-o-matic/24K gold
- Pickups: Two '57 Classic HBs
- Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch
- Fingerboard: Ebony 20 fret/block inlays
- Scale length/nut width: 25-1/2"/1-11/16"
- Includes case
- Message us with questions.